Search API Connector Documentation
Import WhatCMS Data into Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull data from the WhatCMS API directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on for Sheets. This is a useful API that detects which content management system and other technology is being used to power a website.
- Before You Begin
- Part 1: Get WhatCMS API Key
- Part 2: Pull WhatCMS API Data into Sheets
- Part 3: API Documentation
Before You Begin
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
Part 1: Get Your WhatCMS API Key
- To get an API key, you'll first need to create an account at https://whatcms.org/ and verify your email address.
- Once you're subscribed, click the API Key link in the left sidebar (or navigate to https://whatcms.org/Account/Key directly). You should see your API key at the top of the page. Copy this as we'll need it shortly.
- Optionally sign up for a paid plan. Your requests will be rate limited on the free plan.
Part 2: Pull WhatCMS API Data into Sheets
- For this example, we'll start by adding our website URLs into Column A of Sheet1, so we can reference them in our request, since that's the most common use case.
- Now open up Google Sheets and click Extensions > API Connector > Open > Create request.
- In the request form enter the following:
- Request URL:
- Create a new tab and click Set current to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see CMS data for each URL populate your sheet.
Part 3: API Documentation
Official API documentation: https://whatcms.org/Documentation