Import Spotify Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull Spotify data data directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on for Sheets. Spotify is arguably the best streaming music website and app so we’ll have some fun getting data out of it. The Spotify API only supports authentication via OAuth2, so we’ll be connecting using API Connector’s built-in OAuth2 integration for Spotify.
- Before You Begin
- Part 1: Connect to the Spotify API
- Part 2: Create your Spotify API Request URL
- Part 3: Pull Spotify API Data into Sheets
- Part 4: More Example API URLs
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
PART 1: CONNECT TO THE SPOTIFY API
- Open up Google Sheets and click Add-ons > API Connector > Manage Connections.
- In the list of available connections, find Spotify and click Connect.
- You will be directed to spotify.com and asked to sign in, if you haven’t already. You’ll also be asked to authorize the connection.
- You’ll then be returned to your Google Sheet, and can verify that your Spotify connection is active in the Connections screen.
PART 2: CREATE YOUR SPOTIFY API REQUEST URL
For our first request, we’ll get some basic information about your Spotify account.
- API root: https://api.spotify.com
- Endpoint: /v1/me
Putting it all together, we get the full API Request URL.
Now let’s add our URL into API Connector and import Spotify data into Google Sheets!
- In API Connector, click Create, and paste in the Request URL we created above.
- We don’t need any headers so just leave that section as is.
- Under Authentication, choose Spotify from the dropdown menu.
- Create a new tab and click ‘Set current’ to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see some information about yourself populate your sheet.
Now that we’ve got the basic handshake down, let’s get some more interesting data. Try the following URLs (one at a time).
- Get your own most played tracks
- Get your own most played artists
- Get your recently played tracks
- Search for artists matching a keyword
- Search for tracks matching a keyword
- Get audio features of a list of track IDs
To see more API endpoints and example responses, I suggest checking out out the Spotify Web API reference located at https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/reference-beta/.