Import CoinMarketCap Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull cryptocurrency data from the CoinMarketCap API directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on. We’ll first get an API key from CoinMarketCap, and then set up a request to pull in cryptocurrency exchange rate details to your spreadsheet.
For a quick start, get your API key and then skip ahead to the pre-built CoinMarketCap reporting template.
- Part 1: Get your CoinMarketCap API Key
- Part 2: Create your API Request URL
- Part 3: Pull API data into Sheets
- Part 4: Handle Pagination
- Part 5: Get More CoinMarketCap API Data
- Appendix: Get The CoinMarketCap FCAS Template
PART 1: GET YOUR COINMARKETCAP API KEY
- If you haven’t already, navigate to https://coinmarketcap.com/api/ and click Get Your API Key Now
- Fill out your details and click Create My Account
- A moment later you’ll receive an email. Click on the email to verify your account, and you’ll be redirected into your new CoinMarketCap dashboard. Congrats! You now have access to the CoinMarketCap API. Hover over the API Key box in the top left and copy the key to your clipboard.
PART 2: CREATE YOUR API REQUEST URL
We’ll follow the CoinMarketCap documentation to access the latest crypto quotes.
- API root: https://pro-api.coinmarketcap.com
- Endpoint: /v1/cryptocurrency/listings/latest
Putting it together, we get the full API Request URL:
PART 3: PULL COINMARKETCAP API DATA INTO GOOGLE SHEETS
We can now enter all our values into API Connector and import CoinMarketCap API data into Google Sheets.
- Open up Google Sheets and click Add-ons > API Connector > Open.
- In the Create tab, enter the API URL we just created.
- Under Headers enter two sets of key-value pairs like this:
Replace YOUR_API_KEY with the value provided above in step 3.
X-CMC_PRO_API_KEY YOUR_API_KEY Accept application/json
- Leave authentication set to None. Create a new tab and click ‘Set current’ to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see the latest market data for all active cryptocurrencies in your Google Sheet:
PART 4: HANDLE PAGINATION
Note that CoinMarketCap limits the number of records returned in each request. By default, only 100 records will be returned unless you use the ‘start’ and ‘limit’ parameters as described in their documentation.
To retrieve paginated records, add these ‘start’ and ‘limit’ parameters like this:
With API Connector, you can either set these up as separate requests or loop through them automatically with pagination (paid feature) for added efficiency, like this:
PART 5: GET MORE COINMARKETCAP API DATA
- Experiment with endpoints and query strings as described in the documentation to see other types of cryptocurrency data. For example, this URL will retrieve the latest global cryptocurrency market metrics:
- The free version of CoinMarketCap limits the number of accessible endpoints and number of call credits. Check the pricing page for details.
APPENDIX: GET THE COINMARKETCAP FCAS TEMPLATE
CoinMarketCap offers the ability to get tokens’ current aggregated market status by either security or utility types based on the following GET request:
In this template, data from the latest listings along with the FCAS score for the top 3 crypto projects are listed. All of the requests are configured for you to simply add your API key along with the desired token type and get a dashboard like below:
If you want to skip right to the dashboard, here is the link.