Import Kraken Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull public market and cryptocurrency data from the Kraken API directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on for Sheets. Kraken is an trading exchange for Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency.
- Part 1: Create your API Request URL
- Part 2: Pull Kraken API Data into Sheets
- Part 3: More Example API URLs
PART 1: CREATE YOUR KRAKEN API REQUEST URL
We’ll follow the Kraken API documentation to access the latest Bitcoin-USD crypto quotes.
- API root: https://api.kraken.com/
- Endpoint: /0/public/Ticker
- Query Strings: ?pair=xbtusd
Putting it together, we get the full API Request URL:
Note that these market data endpoints are publicly available (a Kraken account is not required).
PART 2: PULL KRAKEN API DATA INTO SHEETS
We can now enter our values into API Connector and import Kraken API data into Google Sheets.
- Open up Google Sheets and click Add-ons > API Connector > Open.
- In the Create screen, enter the Request URL we just created
- This is a free, public API so we don’t need to enter any headers. Just leave this section blank. We don’t need any authentication either, so just skip that section.
- Create a new tab and click ‘Set current’ to use that tab as your data destination.
- Under ‘Output Options’, select Compact mode. This isn’t strictly necessary, but makes this report easier to read. More on Report Styles here: Report Styles
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see the latest ticker data for XBT (Bitcoin) and USD in your Google Sheet:
PART 3: MORE EXAMPLE API URLS
Check the documentation for a full list of endpoints, but if you just want to jump in you can try the following URLs, one at a time:
- Depth (Order Book)
- Trades (Time and Sales)