Preview API Response
When you run an API request in API Connector for Sheets, it automatically converts API responses into a tabular format, using a selection of conversion methods (aka “report styles“). However, in some cases you may want to view the original, unconverted JSON (or XML, CSV, etc.) response from the API.
The Preview API Response feature allows you to run an API request and preview the response before (or instead of) converting and printing the result into your sheet.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
WHY PREVIEW RESPONSES?
- Check the underlying response structure in order to create a JMESPath filter
- Troubleshoot API requests that time out, create too many cells, or otherwise produce errors related to the limits of Google Sheets
- Use for quick prototypes and testing in place of API clients like Postman (Postman is great but rather complicated, and it lacks an easy solution for connecting to OAuth2 APIs).
HOW IT WORKS
Construct your request as usual, then click Output options > Preview API response.
- The API response preview comes directly from the server and therefore doesn’t reflect any customizations you’ve made within API Connector (JMESPath, report styles, etc).
- In the case of paginated and multi-query requests, it shows the response from only the first request.