Import Intercom Data to Google Sheets
Intercom is an online customer communication platform. In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull data from the Intercom API directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on. We’ll first get an API key from Intercom, and then set up a request to pull in user data to your spreadsheet.
- Part 1: Get your Intercom API Key
- Part 2: Create your API Request URL
- Part 3: Pull Intercom API Data into Sheets
- Part 4: Notes and Expansions
- While logged into your Intercom account, navigate to the Developer Hub and click New App.
- A modal will appear, prompting you for details about your app. You can name it anything, but for this example we’ll name it ‘Google Sheets’. Leave the ‘internal integration’ radio button selected, and click Create App.
- You’ll now see a page containing your Access Token. Copy this to your clipboard as you’ll need it in a moment. That’s it, you now have access to the Intercom API!
We’ll follow the Intercom documentation to access a list of users.
- API root: https://api.intercom.io
- Endpoint: /users
Putting it together, we get the full API Request URL:
We can now enter our values into API Connector and import Intercom API data into Google Sheets.
- Open up Google Sheets and click Add-ons > API Connector > Create New API Request.
- In the Create Request interface, enter the Request URL we just created
- Under Headers, enter two sets of key-value pairs, like this:
Authorization Bearer YOUR_API_KEY Accept application/json
Replace YOUR_API_KEY with the key provided above in part 1.
- Create a new tab. You can call it whatever you like, but here we’ll call it ‘Intercom_Users’. While still in that tab, click ‘Set’ to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request. Again we’ll call it ‘Intercom_Users’
- Click Run and a moment later you’ll see a list of your users in your Google Sheet:
- Experiment with endpoints and query strings as described in the documentation to see other types of Intercom data. For example, you can see a list of companies with this URL:
You can see a list of teams by entering:
- Some Intercom endpoints will return a limited set of data per page. To retrieve additional data, you’ll need to follow the pagination links in the response, as described here. With API Connector, you can run these as separate requests, or loop through pages automatically using pagination handling (paid feature).