Import Abstract API Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull data from Abstract API directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on for Sheets.
Abstract API provides a suite of utility APIs with functionality ranging from validating emails to looking up IP addresses and creating avatars. For this tutorial, we'll look at their Company Enrichment API, which is very convenient for developing leads or conducting market research. You can adapt the below instructions for any of their APIs.
- Before You Begin
- Part 1: Get Abstract API Key
- Part 2: Pull Abstract API Data into Sheets
- Part 3: Reference Data from Your Sheet
- Part 4: API Documentation
Before You Begin
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
Part 1: Get Your Abstract API Key
- Log in to Abstract API and navigate to Company Enrichment. Their free plan provides 100 free calls a month, so you don't need to upgrade unless you need more than that.
- You should be in the "Try it out tab", where you'll see your API key and a pre-written request
- Copy the entire pre-written request, as we'll use that next.
Part 2: Pull Abstract API Data into Sheets
- Open up Google Sheets and click Extensions > API Connector > Open > Create request.
- In the request form enter the following:
- Request URL: paste in the URL from above
- Create a new tab and click Set current to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see data from your test request populate your Sheet.
Part 3: Reference Data in Your Sheet
You may want to look up data about companies listed in your sheet. In this section we'll show how to run a multi-query request (paid feature) for a list of domains.
- List your domains in a tab. Let's call that tab Domains
- Where your request URL currently reads airbnb.com, replace it with a cell reference, e.g.
- Now API Connector will run down that list, running a request for each of the 10 domains in your list.
- Google Sheets only lets requests run for about 6 minutes, so you can probably only run through a list of about 500 domains with this technique. If you have more, switch to Append mode and set the next request to begin where the prior one left off.
Part 4: API Documentation
Official API documentation: https://docs.abstractapi.com/company-enrichment