Search API Connector Documentation
Import CoinAPI Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull cryptocurrency data from CoinAPI directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on. We’ll first get an API key from CoinAPI, and then set up a request to pull in cryptocurrency exchange rate details to your spreadsheet.
- Before You Begin
- Part 1: Get your CoinAPI API Key
- Part 2: Create your API Request URL
- Part 3: Pull API Data into Sheets
- Part 4: Get more CoinAPI Data
Before You Begin
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
Part 1: Get Your CoinAPI API Key
- If you haven’t already, navigate to https://www.coinapi.io/ and click Get a Free API Key
- Fill out your details and click Get a Free API Key
- A few minutes later you’ll receive an email containing your API key. Congrats! You now have access to CoinAPI. Keep this key handy as we’ll need it in a moment.
Part 2: Create Your API Request URL
We’ll first access Bitcoin (BTC) exchange rates.
- API root:
Putting it all together, we get the full API Request URL:
Part 3: Pull CoinAPI Data into Sheets
Now lets get that data into Google Sheets.
- Open up Google Sheets and click Extensions > API Connector > Open.
- In the Create tab, enter the API URL we just created.
- Under Headers, enter the following set of key-value pairs:
Replace YOUR_API_KEY with your CoinAPI API Key.
X-CoinAPI-Key YOUR_API_KEY Accept application/json
- Create a new tab and click Set current to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see a list of current BTC exchange rates in your Google Sheet:
Part 4: Get More CoinAPI Data
- Experiment with endpoints and query strings as described in the documentation to see other types of cryptocurrency data. For example, you can see a detailed list of all exchanges tracked by CoinAPI with this URL:
- For more complex API requests, CoinAPI uses a system to clump exchange-type-trading pairs into a single “symbol” for use in their API. As an example, if you wanted to call the BTC-USD trading pair on the spot market of Kraken, you would formulate the symbol like this:
KRAKEN_SPOT_BTC_USD. An example call would look like this:
Part 5: API Documentation
Official API documentation: https://docs.coinapi.io/