Import CoinAPI Data to Google Sheets
CoinAPI is a platform that provides crypto data through a cryptocurrency API. In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull cryptocurrency data from CoinAPI directly into Google Sheets, using the free API Connector add-on. We’ll first get an API key from CoinAPI, and then set up a request to pull in cryptocurrency exchange rate details to your spreadsheet.
- Part 1: Get your CoinAPI API Key
- Part 2: Create your API Request URL
- Part 3: Pull API Data into Sheets
- Part 4: CoinAPI Notes and Expansions
- If you haven’t already, navigate to https://www.coinapi.io/ and click Get a Free API Key
- Fill out your details and click Get a Free API Key
- A few minutes later you’ll receive an email containing your API key. Congrats! You now have access to CoinAPI. Keep this key handy as we’ll need it in a moment.
We’ll follow the CoinAPI documentation to access Bitcoin (BTC) exchange rates.
- API root: https://rest.coinapi.io/v1
- Endpoint: /exchangerate/BTC
Putting it all together, we get the full API Request URL:
We can now enter all our values into API Connector and import Bitcoin data into Google Sheets.
- Open up Google Sheets and click Add-ons > API Connector > Create New API Request.
- In the Create Request interface, enter the Request URL we just created
- Under Headers, enter the following set of key-value pairs:
X-CoinAPI-Key YOUR_API_KEY Accept application/json
Replace YOUR_API_KEY with your CoinAPI API Key.
- Create a new tab. You can call it whatever you like, but here we’ll call it ‘CoinAPI_BTC’. While still in that tab, click ‘Set’ to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request. Again we’ll call it ‘CoinAPI_BTC’
- Click Run and a moment later you’ll see a list of current BTC exchange rates in your Google Sheet:
- Experiment with endpoints and query strings as described in the documentation to see other types of cryptocurrency data. For example, you can see a detailed list of all exchanges tracked by CoinAPI with this URL:
- The free version of CoinAPI limits users to 100 API requests a day.