Create API Request Based on a Cell
One of the advantages of using the API Connector add-on for Google Sheets is that API requests can be based on dynamic or fixed values within your spreadsheet. This is a very flexible function that enables you to, for example, use an automatically updated date in a spreadsheet as the start or end date of a query.
You may reference cells in the API URL path, Headers, and POST body fields.
- Method 1: Reference cell containing full value
- Method 2: Combine fixed values and cell references
To use this function, wrap your cell reference in 3 plus signs on either side. (The plus signs tell API Connector that this is a cell reference and not part of the original URL.) So a reference to cell B2 in a tab called QuerySheet would be written like this:
You can also reference cells in your Header fields and POST request bodies:
Your request field can also contain a combination of fixed values and cell references. Just wrap the cell reference piece in 3 plus signs as described above, like this:
- The cell you're referencing can use all the standard formulas and syntax of Google Sheets as usual. In the first example above, cell B2 within Google Sheets contains the following formula:
- For additional efficiency, you can both reference cells and stack multiple requests together (paid feature). This is useful for APIs that limit the number of records they'll return in each response.
- The ImportAPI() Custom Sheets Function is an alternate method of running API requests based on a cell.