Search API Connector Documentation
Import KoBoToolbox Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull Kobo API data directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on for Sheets.
We’ll first get an API key from Kobo, and then set up a request to pull in data to your spreadsheet.
- Before You Begin
- Part 1: Get your Kobo API Key
- Part 2: Fetch Data from Kobo
- Part 3: Create a Custom API Request
- Part 4: API Documentation & Information
Before You Begin
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
Part 1: Get your Kobo API Key
- While logged in to your Kobo account, check the domain in the address bar. For most people, this will be either kf.kobotoolbox.org or kobo.humanitarianresponse.info (this article describes the difference).
- Now navigate to https://YOUR_DOMAIN/token, i.e.
http://kobo.humanitarianresponse.info/token. Copy the token that you see there. That’s it, you can now access Kobo’s API.
Part 2: Fetch Data from Kobo
The easiest way to get started with the Kobo API is through API Connector’s built-in integration.
- Select KoboToolBox from the drop-down list of applications
- Under Authorization, enter your API key with the word
Tokenin front of it.
- Choose an endpoint. We’ll start with
/assets.jsonwhich is the endpoint to get a list of your assets.
kpi-url, select your hostname (
- Choose a destination sheet, name your request, and hit Run to see the response data in your sheet.
- Note the ID in the results.uid field, as you can plug that into the asset_uid input box for subsequent requests.
Part 3: Create a Custom Request
Alternatively, you can run your own custom requests instead of using API Connector’s pre-built integration. When you create a custom request, you add your complete URL into the request URL field. You also need to add two headers:
- Key =
Authorization, Value =
- Key =
Accept, Value =
Part 4: API Documentation & Information
Kobo hasn’t provided much documentation, but here are a few links for more information:
- Official API documentation: https://support.kobotoolbox.org/api.html
- Kobo’s API community forum: https://community.kobotoolbox.org/c/kobo-users/api/24 (especially this post)