Search API Connector Documentation
Import Financial Modeling Prep Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull data from the Financial Modeling Prep API directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on for Sheets.
Financial Modeling Prep actually provides their own Sheets extension, so you can try that out if you like (here's the link). API Connector has many unique and powerful features for working with any API (not just FMP), so you may find one or the other better suited to your needs.
- Before You Begin
- Part 1: Get Financial Modeling Prep API key
- Part 2: Create your API Request URL
- Part 3: Pull API data into Sheets
- Part 4: API Documentation
Before You Begin
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
Part 1: Get Your Financial Modeling Prep API Key
- If you haven't already, create an account at https://financialmodelingprep.com/register.
- Once you're logged in, navigate to the dashboard (or just click this link to go there directly).
- Click the API Keys link in the sidebar and you'll see your API key on the right. Keep this handy as we'll need it for all requests. You now have access to the FMP API!
Part 2: Create Your API Request URL
We'll first get key metrics for a stock symbol (AAPL).
- API root: https://financialmodelingprep.com
- Endpoint: /api/v3/key-metrics/AAPL
- Query String: ?limit=40&apikey=your_API_key
Part 3: Pull Financial Modeling Prep API Data into Google Sheets
We can now enter all our values into API Connector.
- Open up Google Sheets and click Extensions > API Connector > Open.
- In the Create tab, enter the API URL we just created.
- We don't need OAuth so just leave that section set to none. This API doesn't require any headers either, so just leave that section empty.
- Create a new tab and click Set current to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see historical data for AAPL appear in your Google Sheet:
To get more data, just copy and paste any of the URLs shown in their API documentation.
Official API documentation: https://site.financialmodelingprep.com/developer/docs