Search API Connector Documentation
Import Constant Contact Data to Google Sheets
In this guide, we’ll walk through how to pull data from the Constant Contact API directly into Google Sheets, using the API Connector add-on for Google Sheets.
We’ll first get an API key from Constant Contact, and then set up a request to pull in email campaign details from your Constant Contact account to your spreadsheet.
- Before You Begin
- Part 1: Get your Constant Contact API Key
- Part 2: Create your API Request URL
- Part 3: Pull API Data into Sheets
- Part 4: More Example API URLs
- Part 5: API Documentation
Before You Begin
Click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
Part 1: Get Your Constant Contact API Key
- Create a Mashery account at https://constantcontact.mashery.com/member/register. Mashery is the system Constant Contact uses to power their APIs.
- Log in and register a new application at https://constantcontact.mashery.com/apps/register.
You can name it anything, but here we’ll name it ‘Google Sheets’. You don’t need to fill in the other form fields, just leave them blank.
- Scroll to the bottom and make sure you’ve agreed to the terms of service. Click Register Application.
- You will now see your API Key.
- Click the API Tester tab, and then the Get Access Token button.
- This will take you to an account registration/login page. Assuming you already have a Constant Contact account, click I already have an account (otherwise you’ll need to click Create Account.
- You’ll now be prompted to allow access to the application you just registered (‘Google Sheets’). Click Allow.
- You should now see your Access Token. Keep this handy, as we’ll need it shortly. Congrats, you’re done! You now have access to the Constant Contact API, and can start pulling Constant Contact data into Google Sheets.
Part 2: Create Your API Request URL
- Constant Contact has made this part very easy. Instead of reading through the API documentation, we’ll just go back to the API Tester tool to get our first API request URL.
Paste in the access token you just got, then click Get and Try it:
- You’ll see a request URL appear. Copy this.
Part 3: Pull Constant Contact API Data into Sheets
We’re now ready to enter all our values into API Connector.
- Open up Google Sheets and click Extensions > API Connector > Open.
- In the Create tab, enter the API URL we just created.
- We don’t need any OAuth authentication so leave that set to None.
- Grab your headers from the API Tester interface:
- Under Headers, copy/paste in the Request Header values from above:
Authorization Bearer YOUR_ACCESS_TOKEN X-Originating-IP YOUR_IP_ADDRESS
Just substitute in your own values. It should look like this:
- Create a new tab and click Set current to use that tab as your data destination.
- Name your request and click Run. A moment later you’ll see your Constant Contact account data populate your Google Sheet:
Now that you have the basic connection in place, you can consult the documentation for the full list of API endpoints. Or, if you just want to jump in, try entering the following URLs (one at a time):
You can also play around with sample calls in the API Tester tool at https://constantcontact.mashery.com/io-docs
Official API documentation: https://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/developer-guides/api-documentation-index.html