Search API Connector Documentation
API Connector’s visual field editor lets you choose which fields from the response to filter or keep in your sheet. You can also re-arrange and rename the columns in your report.
Why Use The Field Editor?
- simplify reporting by displaying only the fields you need
- lock columns in place when an API changes the order of fields in their response
- improve Sheets performance by reducing data size
- re-arrange and rename columns
- remove headers
If you haven’t already, click here to install the API Connector add-on from the Google Marketplace.
To enter the visual field editor, click Edit fields from the Create screen.
For each response field, you have several options:
Choose whether to display or hide fields by clicking the checkbox at the top of each column.
Use the Filter all / Keep all buttons at the top to modify all fields at once.
To rename fields, click the pencil icon next to the field name. This will produce a modal where you can rename your field.
If you’d like to remove headers entirely, replace each field name with a single space.
By hovering over a field header, you can drag and drop it to a new location.
To remove headers from your table, replace each header name of your report with a single space.
When you next run the report, headers will be empty.
Reset Field Settings
When you change your report style, enter a new URL, or if your API starts sending new or different fields, you need to reset the field mappings to match the updated field structure.
You may also want to reset any changes you’ve made to column names or positions.
To reset your fields, click Reset all.
After resetting your field mappings, you can click Save to save the current mapping, or simply click Close to continue without a fixed mapping.
View API Response
To view the raw response data from the API, click the Show raw response button.
- If you change the report style (e.g. from single row to grid) after saving a field mapping, the response fields won’t match and the response may appear empty. Therefore, if you are using the field editor, please click Reset all after updating the report style.
- You can additionally use features like adding timestamps, adding request URLs, and truncating headers. These features are managed independently of the field editor, and can be toggled on and off through the sidebar.
- If you apply a JMESPath expression, the field editor will display the post-JMESPath output.