API Connector Add-On for Google Sheets
Check out my API Connector Add-on to easily connect and pull data from thousands of platforms (e.g. Shopify, Harvest, Mailchimp, ActiveCampaign, VWO, YouTube, etc.) directly into Google Sheets.
Google Data Studio lets you hook up a wide variety of data sources and create cool reports and visualizations out of them. Sometimes, though, the wires get crossed during the import process, and there’s a data type issue where your metrics (numbers) get read as dimensions (text fields), and vice versa.
Luckily there’s an easy, though manual, fix for this:
- Navigate to Resource > Manage added data sources
- Find the data source with the data type issue in the list and click Edit
- This will open up the full list of text and number fields available from that data source. Text fields are shaded green, while numbers are shaded blue. Find your field that has been recorded incorrectly, and change the data type from Text to Numeric, or vice versa. In this example, I’m taking a visitor count that was recorded as a dimension, and changing it from Text to Number.
- Note that when you change the data type, the color may not automatically change.
To address this, open the drop-down menu and select an aggregate function for your number. This aggregate function can be ‘None’, meaning it will make no change to your data at all. Once you complete this, the field will switch colors, indicating that Data Studio recognizes the new data type.
- Click ‘Done’ and you’ll now see the dimension correctly recognized as a metric in Data Studio.